Tool Safety Tip # 1
- When working with both hand tools and power tools I take tool safety seriously.
- Stay 100% focused on what you are doing as a lack of attention may cause an injury.
When I started at DIY I missed striking the nail with the hammer a few times and hit my thumb instead, I very quickly learnt to concentrate.
Tool Safety Tip #2
According to an online source 65% of eye injuries occur around the home? This stat did surprise me indeed.
[Image source: https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/wear-safety-eyewear]
- Protect your eyes from dust, debris, splinters from wood, glass and other objects by wearing safety glasses.
- When using the lawnmower or whipper snipper or brush cutter consider wearing eye protection.
- Accidents can happen unexpectedly and quickly, so always protect your eyes when working with any type of tool.
Tool Safety # 3
Items like jewellery, rings, long hair, sandals and loose clothing can easily get caught up in power tools.
- Remove jewellery and rings.
- Tie long hair tie it well back behind your head, out of the way of fast moving power tools.
- Ensure your clothes fit snug against your body to avoid any part getting caught in fast turning tools.
- Wear closed in foot wear – boots or joggers with rubber soles.
Tool Safety # 4
When using any type of power tool, wear ear muffs or ear plugs to protect your hearing. Both are effective in reducing the noise.
Tool Safety # 5
Protect your lungs and skin:
- When sanding (hand or electric) use a dust mask to reduce the risk of breathing in dust particles.
- When using toxic substances such as a paint stripper wear a dust mask to prevent inhalation of fumes.
- Use gloves to protect your skin.
Tool Safety # 6
Use a scanning or sensor device to avoid risk of electrocution when drilling holes in walls or ceiling:
- Use a scanning or sensor device to check for electrical wiring.
- Scanners can also detect timber studs in walls.
- Scanners are also useful for finding water pipes within walls.
Tool Safety # 7
When replacing saw blades, router bits or drill bits always turn off power to the tool being used.
- As an added precaution remove the power tool’s plug from the wall.
- The reason for this is to reduce the risk of accidentally knocking the starter switch which in turn activates the blade or bit.
- If the tool accidentally turns on, it may cause injury.
Tool Safety # 8
Check your home and work area is fitted with a safety switch or earth leakage breaker at the main meter box to the property. Why?
- If a power tool (or electrical appliance) develops a short the safety switch at the meter box which turns off the power immediately.
- A safety switch therefore reduces the risk of anyone in the home receiving an electrical shock.
I have had both an electric drill and kettle develop electrical shorts, so having a safety switch is essential in every home.
If you are not sure whether your home is fitted with a safety switch, ask your local licensed electrician to check and install one.
Tool Safety # 9
Use one extension lead instead of multiple leads connected to multiple tools.
- The more electrical cords lying on the floor the easier it is to trip over one of them.
- In an emergency it is much quicker to turn off one power point instead of multiple.
Tool Safety # 10
If using recycled timber check first for nails, bolts or screws still lodged in the timber.
- Remove with a hammer or crowbar.
- Sparks fly everywhere if you hit an old nail with a power tool blade.